the best healthy Chinese cabbage coleslaw
Crunchy Chinese and red cabbage, carrots together with sweet apple dressed with tangy whole grain mustard dressing. Packed with nutrients and antioxidants, this coleslaw is not only healthy but very delicious!
Chinese cabbage belongs to Brassica family, where other vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brusse’s sprouts are belong to.
It is originated in china but is definitely one of most popular vegetables especially during winter in Japan.
One of the biggest reason why Chinese cabbage is so popular during winter season is that Chinese cabbage often acts as the main ingredients of Nabe ryori (鍋料理), which literally means hot pot dishes.
Japanese people love eating Nabe ryori or hot pot dish during cold season because A) it is very easy to make just throwing in the ingredients and cook, B) you can make unlimited varieties using different ingredients, and C)it gives the easters “connect” each other as it is often served on the table where we gather around and share the hot pot.
The other reason is that as a winter vegetable Chinese cabbage increases its “sweetness” and the flavor as the weather becomes colder.
You may be able to find Chinese cabbage all year around but it is the best season to enjoy al the good stuffs of Chinese cabbage!
Eat your Chinese cabbage in winter!
Health benefit and nutrients of Chinese cabbage;
It is remarkable that 95% of volume of Chinese cabbage is water! But do not dismiss the nutritional value in remaining 5%.
- Packed with antioxidant plant compounds
– help protect cells from the free radical damage
- Excellent source of Vitamin C
– support immune system, protect from free radical damage, and help fight against stress
- Contains good amount of folate
– involves in crucial metabolic functions of our body including creating more red blood cells and maintain healthy brain and nerve functions.
- Good source of many essential vitamins such as riboflavin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine and thiamin;
– essential nutrients to maintain the body’s metabolism
- Good source of potassium;
– helps regulating body fluids, heart rate and blood pressure.
It is amazing to see how this water rich vegetable are so nutritious, isn’t it?
How to eat Chinese cabbage;
In addition to many potential health benefits of Chinese cabbage, it is very user-friendly meaning that you can use it in variety of dishes.
This is my favorite way to eat my Chinese cabbage. You will make the most of its Vitamin C when eaten raw as well as enjoy the crunchy texture of it.
– salad with asian or/and western style dressings, into tacos in stead of lettuce, buddah bowls
– sir-fry with chicken, meat, fish or tofu, stew or hot pot dish, or even in gratin!
Pickled or fermented;
– Chinese cabbage is the main ingredients of Kimuch, Korean fermented vegetable dish.
I have never tried making my own but would love to some day!
How to make “the best healthy Chinese cabbage coleslaw”
Chinese cabbage particularly works well in coleslaw with its sweet flavor and the crunchy texture.
I added other components to my coleslaw to enhance the flavor, texture and the nutritional value to it.
- Chinese cabbage
- red cabbage
＊Make sure to choose organic apple because we want to include skin of the apple which helps keep healthy environment of the gut.
Healthy coleslaw dressing;
- apple cider vinegar
- whole grain mustard
- olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
Making this Chinese cabbage salad is very easy and simple and will be ready in just 15 minutes!
- Prepare vegetables.- trim and shred Chinese cabbage, red cabbage, carrot and apple.
- Blend all ingredients for the dressing – in a small bowl put ingredients for the dressing and blend well.
- Coat prepared vegetables with dressing – pour dressing over the slaw and toss well to combine. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
The slaw can be served immediately or also is great if you let it sit in the fridge for half to an hour to marinade.
Don't have ingredients? Check these items!
Have you ever tried chines cabbage?
If you haven’t yet, go to your local asian super market and get one, and try this recipe!
If you have already, still you may want to try it too!
This coleslaw is not only delicious but also healthy 🙂
If you try this recipe let me know your experience.
Please leave your comments, suggestions or any questions.
And if you try this recipe add your photos on instagram and tag #living_my_nature!!
I look forward to hear from you!!
♥Thank you for reading!♥
HEALTHY CHINESE CABBAGE COLESLAW
- 1.5~2 cups Chinese cabbage - shredded
- 1/2 Medium carrot - shredded
- 3/4 cup red cabbage - shredded
- 1/2 medium apple - thinly sliced into match stick size
- 2 tbsp apple cinder vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- sea salt and pepper - to taste
- Prepare chinese cabbage, red cabbage, carrot and apple as instructed in the ingredient section and set them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine ingredients for dressing and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Pour dressing over the slaw and toss well to combine. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
This post may contain affiliate links. It means that if you purchase products through that links, I get small commission from the company. You will not lose anything by doing so!
This recipe and content of this blog are created by Living My Nature. Please refrain from using it as your own and contact me if you would like to share.