Roasted beetroot and apple salad
This delicious and easy to make salad is such a brilliant way to take advantage numerous health benefit of beetroot!
The mustard dressing with hint of cinnamon goes perfectly to the combination of earthy flavor of beetroot and crunchy, sweet apple.
Can be served as a side dish of your dinner and get the leftover your lunch box!
This colorful, delicious and very nutritious vegetable, beetroot, is probably one of most popular vegetables in many countries.
In Japan, sadly, it is not the case.
It is becoming more and more available here, however availability of beetroot is still limited to some farmers, rather expensive supermarket or international shops.
I may have experienced the flavor of beetroot once or twice as a child but it was when I lived in Australia for a few years in my twenties that this vegetable has became a part of my daily item.
I am lucky because my dad got a small land several years ago where he and my mom can live after his retirement and started to grow vegetables there.
As well as common Japanese vegetables he also experiments growing “new” vegetables
that I asked him to grow such as beetroot, butternut pumpkin, and swisschard.
Thanks to his hard work we harvested good amount of beetroot this summer too.
My dad actually does not know how to eat this “new” vegetable other than steaming and eating by itself with store bought dressing, so it is MY job in my house to create recipes that make the most of flavor and taste of beetroot he makes.
And this time I would like to share with you this beautiful Roasted beetroot and apple salad that I made the other day.
Actually it is my first time using roasted beetroot for salad and I absolutely love it. I find that roasting it enhances the flavor of beetroot enhances because it “trap” the flavor.
The earthy taste of beetroot goes well together with sweet crunchy apple.
And adding green beans not only balancing out the flavor of sweetness of beetroot and apple, it make this salad looks pretty and appetizing on the table.
Making roasted beetroot and apple salad
- Fresh beetroot
- Red onion
- Apple cider vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
＊Get organic vegetables if you can especially apples.
We want to include skin of apple because the chemical compounds of apple skin (pectin) helps to maintain healthy gut as well as helping our detoxification in the body.
1. Start with roasting beetroot
Preheat oven to 200℃ (about 400°F).
Get large piece of aluminum foil that is enough to wrap the beets and coat with oil. (or use non-sticking foil instead without using oil)
Wash, peel and dice the beets into 3-4 cm(an inch) pieces and wrap tightly in oil coated foil and place on a baking pan/tray.
Once the oven is heated, roast beetroot for about 50 minutes or until tender and easily pierced with a knife.
Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
2. Prepare other vegetables and dressing while roasting beetroot;
Apple; wash, remove the core and dice into 3cm (1n inch) pieces.
Green beans; wash, trim the string and stem end . Cook in boiling water for about 1 minute until they become bright green, drain and cool with cold water.
Red onion; skin removed, and slice thinly.
Dressing; to a large bowl, mix all ingredients and stir until well combined
3. Tossing vegetables with dressing
Transfer roasted beetroot, prepared vegetables to the dressing bowl and add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Stir all the ingredients so that vegetables are coated with dressing.
4. Transfer to a serving plate/ bowl and enjoy!
What is your favorite way to eat beetroot?
If you try this recipe let me know your experience.
Please leave your comments, suggestions or any questions.
And if you try this recipe add your photos on instagram and tag #living_my_nature!!
I look forward to hear from you!!
Other vegetable recipes
Roasted beetroot and apple salad
- 2 medium beetroot - 360g (0.8 lb)
- 1 medium apple - preferably organic
- 1 cup green beans
- 1/2 small red onion
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- tiny pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 200℃.(400℉)While the oven is being heated, wash, peel and dice the beets into 3-4 cm(an inch) pieces.Get large piece of foil that is enough to wrap the beets and coat with olive oil. Start boiling the water for green beans with a pinch of salt in a small pan.
- Place and wrap the beets pieces with prepared foil and bake for about 50 minutes or until they become tender and easily poked through with a folk.
- While the beets are being cooked, let's get other ingredients prepared!Apple; washed, core removed, and dice into 3cm (1n inch) pieces.Green beans; wash, string removed, stem end trimmed. Cook in boiling water for about 1 minute until they become bright green, drain and cool with cold water.Red onion; skin removed, and thinly sliced.
- To a large bowl, blend all ingredients for dressing until well combined.Once beetroot has roasted, transfer to the dressing bowl together with other vegetables and toss them to coat with the dressing .
- Serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. It means that if you purchase products through that links, I get small commission from the company. You will not lose anything by doing so!
This recipe and content of this blog are created by Living My Nature. Please refrain from using it as your own and contact me if you would like to share.